Friday, February 8, 2008

Tension Can Just Be So…Tense

Break-ups are hard. However, I would not know just how hard since I have never experienced one. My best friend here at school dated one of my other good friends for the past two months. Last Friday though, they broke up. My friend and him were so cute together. Well, honestly I would have never put them together, but once we all started to hang out, I could see it. And with each passing day, during the months of October and November, their mutual attraction for one another became clearer. He was hesitant to ask my friend out though, because he had never had a girlfriend. One chilly morning in December he decided that he would take the risk, despite lack of experience and full confidence of her reply, and asked her out. The rest is history…right? No. Their relationship, just like any other, was complicated. Over the course of two months, they went on maybe three dates. They liked each other very much. Unfortunately, the commitments he had to school, as he is a double major, and other obligations left him little to no time to spend with my friend. They probably spent approximately seventy-five minutes a week together, and normally that time was at different classes. Two weeks ago they had lunch and they talked about how not spending time together would effect their relationship. He felt so guilty that he was always too busy spend alone time with her. He struggled with what to do for a week; a whole week of him looking completely stressed and troubled. Last Friday, he finally came clean with her. He did not feel comfortable having a girlfriend and not spending hardly any quality time with her. Last night, my friend and I were walking to my car for a “girls night out”, and she explained how the relationship she had once had with him was now strained, and she thought the tension between the two of them now was so great, that she could see and feel it in the air. I agreed—“Yeah, tension can just be so…tense.”

No comments: