Friday, February 1, 2008

The Hardest Two Words to Say

“I’m sorry.” “Please forgive me.” I would say that these simple words are the hardest for anyone to say—myself included. But why are they so hard you ask? We’re selfish. That’s it. We do things that God doesn’t want us to, because we would rather please ourselves; and then, when it comes to saying sorry about it, we don’t want to admit we were wrong because we’re proud. Most of us, however, don’t have to say we’re sorry publicly. But imagine if we did—maybe we would be much more willing to say sorry and get on with it.

Kwame Kilpatrick, mayor of Detroit, Michigan went on live television to publicly apologize for cheating on his wife and then lying about the affair. Apparently he had gone on a trip to North Carolina, and during his stay, he spent some time with a woman at a couples retreat in a hotel and spa. Upon questioning, however, he denied the accusations of an affair. Kilpatrick’s live apology with his wife at his side did not redeem his actions, however, at least he came clean with God, his city, his family, and himself.

So, the next time you make a wrong move, remember the consequences for not being honest and humble, and be thankful that you don’t have say a public apology every time you screw up. Just go ahead and say it!

*Story on Kwame Kilpatrick was found on “Commontaries” under “Memphis Blogs.”

2 comments:

Michael said...

That this politician had to apologize for cheating on his wife in public is thought but as you mentioned he made a terrible mistake and as a public figure he has to be aware of the consequences of his actions. I also had to apologize in front of my entire class in third grade for calling my class mate bad names so I can imagine how this politician must have felt; I respect him for having the courage to apologize.

emilyanne said...

While I think apologizing is an important and inevitable part of life, I don't think this man's personal life was anyone else's business. Yes, he needed to apologize to his wife but to the town? No, he's their politician not their husband. I don't need to know what our politicians are doing in the private lives.