Saturday, February 23, 2008

NORTH vs. SOUTH Part I

I ate biscuits and gravy for breakfast. Miss Susan ensured that I opened the biscuits and then put the gravy on; instead of putting the gravy on top of the whole biscuit. And before my Dad and I could walk out the door, she promised that she would teach me how to cook, southern style. Miss Susan is my Mom’s best friend. She used to go to church with us up north and she moved down south about seven years ago. And she promised my Mom that she would take good care of me while I was down here in good ole Memphis.

Orientation started at 8 am that Thursday morning. As my Dad and I slowly walked toward the Richardson Towers Dormitory with my huge suitcase and my violin, I was tired and scared. What will this be like? I was nine hours from home. I knew no one. Entering the tall, intimidating set of gray double doors marked the beginning of a new time in my life. I bonded with other incoming freshman music majors that would help mold my perspective of the music school. I was going to enjoy my time here.

No comments: