Friday, February 1, 2008

Construction On Campus: Yea or Neigh?

The University of Memphis, just like any other college, is constantly progressing—tearing down and reconstructing and tearing down and reconstructing again. Although this progress is healthy, it is also very disturbing. Last semester I took Chemistry and I had to pass through puddles of mud. The loud crashes of the tractors and men yelling were sometimes so loud that I could not hear my professor. And every once in awhile, the air was filled with the revolting smell of sulfur. Dealing with these inconveniences has really gotten on my nerves.

Then, an entry on The Gates of Memphis blog caught my attention; it was on the demolition of a church on Mynders. The author explains how he felt that the church was a historical monument and therefore is part of the beauty of the campus and should have remained. Apparently, the University felt that the space where the Baptist Church once stood could be put to better use. But what use they will put it to, they have not decided.

Despite the fact that I hate that they torn down this church that had stood for seventy-five years, I feel the only way to make physical progress on campus is by use of construction. This progress can be positive. For example, we sure could use a new music building for a plethora of reasons, and I would not stop a single person from breaking ground tomorrow. But I suppose that since I am directly affected by the constructing of a new music building, I am not opposed to it. I feel so torn! Help me!

No comments: