Friday, January 25, 2008

"Scaredy Cat"

It’s amazing how much there is to learn. Learning never ends; it’s this wonderful journey that leads me to see the world around me in a whole new way. I have always been interested in learning and experiencing new things. I’m a person who would love to annoy you with question after question, even if it was on the subject of nail polish. My desire to soak in new philosophies, concepts, and facts seems to never end. However, often I’m scared to ask questions in a public setting of any kind—in a class, at a restaurant, or on a tour. I have struggled with this since I was in middle school. Throughout these past seven years, I have worked to overcome this obstacle; so that now I ask questions, but only enough to get all the information I need to know and not the all the information I want to know. For as much as I love to learn, it continues to amaze me how much fear I feel deep inside me when asking a simple question. What do I expect to happen? Do I think everyone will laugh at me if I pronounce something incorrectly or have a “nerdy” idea? What bothers me most is that I am more afraid of whatever is that is holding me back, than I am courageous and zealous for how much I can learn.


Signed,

"Scaredy Cat"

1 comment:

Ashli said...

Yeah, I understand where you are coming from. In big auditorium classes I would rather walk through freezing rain than ask a question, when i have question I always have to go to professor after class. I think it really is that in my head I just think, what if the professor thinks my question is stupid or kind of off topic. Although, more and more it is true there is not a thing as a dumb question really; and I think that goes for “nerdy questions” too.