Friday, January 25, 2008

Getting Emotional About Health Care Part 1

Health care is an extremely important issue, and it will continue to be an issue that people struggle over for as long as men live. My Mom and I recently had an intense conversation (or some might say argument) about this issue a few weeks ago. My Mom and I were on our way home from some place when I brought up the fact that I needed register to vote soon as I am now eligible. I went on to say how I felt guilty for not keeping up with the candidates and their platforms like I should. My Mom, a Republican, brought up how she was undecided and was sort of leaning towards Barack Obama, a Democratic candidate. I asked her for an explanation. And she feels that he is strong and would be a good leader, however she feels that could not trust him. I agreed; from what I had seen of Obama, there is potential for him to be a strong leader—not good, but strong. But then, she started running her mouth about how Health Care is such a big issue, and how she feels that it is ridiculous for someone to have to pay thirty dollars for a bottle of Tylenol at the hospital. “It’s ridiculous,” she shouted again. “What if I needed to have some special treatment for my heart and we can not afford it,” she said, articulating each word so well that spit was flying out of her mouth. “So what is your solution, ‘free’ health care?” “Well, ya…” she said reluctantly.” But it was too late, she already opened a huge can of worms and I was about to get very emotional.

To be continued...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Healthcare is a very difficult situation, I definitely agree with you there, and it frustrates me more and more! A sickness is something that is never expected, but that is lurking around the corner! So many senior citizens have problems as well, and they need healthcare more than we do. Unless you have a really good job with really good health benefits, you have to find a healthcare plan that fits into your budget, which is practically impossible!